Date:      Tue, 9 May 2000 01:47:36 +0000
From:      Darren Wyn Rees <merlin@netlink.co.uk>
To:        Kent Stewart <kstewart@3-cities.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ppp 'set filter' question

Kent Stewart <kstewart@3-cities.com> :

> Personally, I setup user-ppp to auto start in the background, nat, and
> demand dial. I currently have a runppp.sh in .../rc.d. I usually ping

I don't have an 'rc.d' (though I had an /etc/rc.d/ with Linux).
I suppose I should be putting any file to put ppp in the background
(as per your suggestion above) in /etc/rc.conf ?

> my ISP and it dials. I use an alias to
> ping -n 10 -w 10000 my.isp.com.
>
> Unless there is a problem of some sort, I start getting a response on
> the 3rd ping. If it times out completely, something is going on and I
> go down to my gateway computer with the modem to see and hear what is
> happening. I use user-ppp because it is easy to drop, dial, and quit
> all using pppctl.

Ah, but what filters do you use in your ppp.conf file ?

Your ping above makes user-ppp dial out (because it's in demand
dial / auto mode).  But what do you use to stop any other
traffic to the 'outside' causing a dial out ?

Thanks for your help !

	Darren