Date:      Tue, 14 Sep 1999 18:54:27 +0800 (WST)
From:      Michael Kennett <mike@laurasia.com.au>
To:        craig@hotmix.com.au (Craig Beasland)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Internetworking

> Hi there,
>
> I have a problem...
>
> We use a jetdirect card on our windows network to allow printing.  For one C
> Class of network machines I can ping the "printer" and print to it with no
> problems.  I now have another c class of IP addresses that want to print to
> the same printer - all the machines are on the same physical hub.
>
> I have set up a FreeBSD box with an ethernet card 2 IP addresses - one for
> each c class.  I can add a route on the windows machines so that I can ping
> both IP's on the FreeBSD box, but I cant get any further than that.
>
> What do I need to add to the routing tables under FreeBSD to allow my
> workstations further access.
>
> FreeBSD Box IP's 150.1.1.10 and 140.2.2.10
> 150.1.1.0 c class with printer 150.1.1.196
> 140.2.2.0 c class with route for 150.1.1.0 set to 140.2.2.10 - these
> machines can see 150.1.1.10 but nothing else on that c class.
>
> The FreeBSD box can see both sides of the network.

In /etc/rc.conf are a whole bunch of configuration parameters that allow you
to setup your FreeBSD box as a gateway -- allowing it to forward packets
from the workstations to the printer.

The relevant configuration parameter is:

	gateway_enable="YES"

Check that this is set in /etc/rc.conf.

Have a look in /etc/defaults/rc.conf for the default settings of the parameters.

> cheers
> craig
>
> craig@hotmix.com.au

Mike Kennett