Date:      Tue, 25 May 2004 21:33:16 +1000
From:      "Steven McMaster" <steven@my-letter-box.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   buildworld/installworld failure 5.2.1

I am in a spot of bother.=20
I have successfully buildworld, buildkernel and installkernel on =
5.2.1-RELEASE... but when i came to installworld i ran into a problem.=20
I now know that this was a simple problem with the Makefile, but =
unfortunately i cannot go back.

i am now trying to boot into my old kernel [5.0-RELEASE-p18] and the =
kernel is crashing with;

"init: /bin/sh on /etc/rc terminated abnormally, going to single user =
mode"

cool...well at least it gives me a shell.

going by the boot dump... the last message before crashing is 'mounting =
root from ufs:/dev/ad0s1a'

i run a fsck on ad0s1a and it looks good. any ideas?=20