Date:      Thu, 1 Jun 2006 14:43:17 -0400
From:      Allen <slackwarewolf@comcast.net>
To:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: The Unix Haters Handbook

On Thu, 01 Jun 2006 09:57:38 -0500
Kevin Kinsey <kdk@daleco.biz> wrote:

> Aren Olvalde Tyr wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> >> Anyway, wanted to share my discovery. I know many knows this book, but
> >> perhaps many also don't.
> >
> > Very amusing/interesting. I knew of the "Unix haters" journal/e-mail list, but
> > didn't realise that a book existed.
> >
> > Aren.
>
> I'm afraid I've not time to RTFT today (at least not
> ATM), but I've got to ask a few questions of this list:
>
> 1.  FreeBSD is not UNIX, by definition and agreement.
> So, does the book really apply?  Will another lawsuit
> loom large on the horizon if it does?  Does SCO have
> personnel who "check out" related OSes to determine whether
> they meet the appropriate "UNIX-hating" criteria? (ref.
> POSIX).

Technically FreeBSD has more right than SCO UNIX to be called UNIX, Legally who cares laws and computer science have really not ever mixed.

> 2.  Is 'UNIX-hating' an acquired taste/skill/disability?
> Is it possible to be stupid/ignorant/naive enough to not
> hate UNIX?

Could be a form of retardation. But that's my arrogant Elitism.

> 3.  Should we hunt down the author, install FBSD on his
> machine(s), chant "make install clean" repeatedly whilst
> we transliterate his work into groff, Tex, Docbook and LaTEX
> via the stuff in ports/converters?  Perhaps he's never run
> a modern OS ....

I've seen the web site and read it before. to me it looked like a windows guy who was paid to write down everything he was thinking about Windows and change the names.

> Just trolling,

Just Biting,

> Kevin Kinsey

-Allen