Date:      Wed, 17 Apr 1996 16:44:18 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Robert Nicholson <steffi@DGS.dgsys.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Partioning....

FreeBSD 2.1 requires a boot partition to be a primary right?

What's an acceptable boot partition size ... 10 MB for recompiling the
kernel?

I can use a logical drive for a data partition right?

I currently have on my 4 GIG

DOS 32 MEG
NeXTSTEP 512 MEG
Windows 95 200 MEG
Windows NT 200 MEG (This will happily boot in a logical drive but currently
it's a primary NTFS parition which is wrong)

So at this point I want to reinstall FreeBSD 2.1 and I'm thinking about
layout.

With the above I already have 4 primary parititions and doesn't DOS require
a primary partition in an extended partition due to some DOS bug?

I can probably settle with a root partition but that costs me more than one
physical parititon for FreeBSD because I'll need some slices which take up
others. I'd rather install FreeBSD in it's own 500 MB parititon so I
might even consider a controller that does extended translation.

Currently I'm using an NCR based DTC 3130B which works like a champ.