Date:      Fri, 19 Jan 2001 07:57:35 +0100 (CET)
From:      Micke Josefsson <mj@isy.liu.se>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Can I do a make world only for PentiumPro?

On 19-Jan-01 Warner Losh wrote:
> In message <XFMail.010118091516.mj@isy.liu.se> Micke Josefsson writes:
>: Is it possible to use my PentiumPro machine to do a 'make buildworld' for a
>: target machine that only is a 486? When compiling the kernel I can select to
>: omit 386/486-thingies and optimise the binaries for 686. Can I do the same
>: for
>: the 'world'-target?
>
> Yes.  I do this all the time.  Except I have an Pentium II 500MHz
> box.  I do a make buildworld there and an installworld on the 486
> box.  I have to make sure that the /usr/obj and /usr/src trees are the
> same between the two (mounted in the same place, same sym links, etc)
> and that my /etc/make.conf is the same.  Otherwise it just works.  You
> have to have /usr/obj writable by root, so it can't be read only :-(,
> but that's about the only snag I can think of.

Good! I am trying that now.

> Of course I have no PPro or Pentium II specific optimizations in my
> tree.  They don't seem to help much anyway.

Pity if the dont:( I think I read somewhere that XFree could be compiled with
optimisations and that the result was some 30% snappier code. I don't remember
where I read it, but can this claim have some validity?

BTW, when trying to compile XFree it simply does not work, as it cannot find
Imake.tmpl. There is only a makefile in /usr/X11R6/src/xc. Haven't I got all the
code?

Thanks for the answer.

Michael Josefsson, MSEE
mj@isy.liu.se