Date:      Fri, 28 Jul 1995 12:29:03 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        gary@palmer.demon.co.uk (Gary Palmer)
Cc:        junkmail@pht.com, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 2.0.5-950622-SNAP on a big machine

> In message <Pine.LNX.3.91.950728084259.6570A-100000@exodus.pht.com>, Brad Midgl
> ey writes:
> >bt0: Bt946C/ 0-PCI/EISA/VLB(32bit) bus
> >bt0: reading board settings, busmastering, int=10
> >bt0: version 4.23, sync, parity, 32 mbxs, 32 ccbs
>
> Hmm. Rod seems to be the expert on these cards. Rod?

:-) expert, well, okay, yea, I suppose.  More like I have learned to
hate them the more I try to get the problems fixed.  And BusLogic is
now far far down and clear off of my even considered as a product to
sell list.  They have made interface changes between the card and the
host, and can not even provide me with documentation on what the changes
are at each revision of the card :-(.

You have a revision A card with 4.23 firmware, probably about a 4.83 or
4.84 bios here.  As long as the board works with your motherboard correctly
(ie, you can get past the bloody SCSI Select stuff) do _NOT_ upgrade it
to the newer revision E (4.25J/4.92E) card!!  There are serious problems
with FreeBSD and the newer cards at this time in _some_ systems.

If the card worked fine with a previous release of FreeBSD let us assume
for the time being we do not have a bt946 hardware problem and let us
not touch that piece of hardware for fear of introducing an unknown into
the equation.

Now that I have your revision information let me go back and look over and
reply to the other email on this particular scsi related problem.

> >yes, I did reboot and the kernel saw the card, ifconfiged it, etc., but
> >net traffic just wouldn't go through it.  unplugging the smc from the net
> >even produced a:
>
> >Jul 26 16:23:38 gandalf /kernel: ed0: device timeout

Check that you have the IRQ of the ed0 device assigned to the ISA bus
in the PCI P-n-P configuration menu of the BIOS setup for you machine.