Date:      Mon, 23 Dec 2002 15:46:29 -0800
From:      Kurt Bigler <kkb@breathhost.net>
To:        Kenzo <kenzo_chin@hotmail.com>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: email addresses used for lists [was: L0phtcrack]

on 12/23/02 3:34 PM, Kenzo <kenzo_chin@hotmail.com> wrote:

> And for using hotmail account....Computer 101, never
> use your real or company e-mail address to post on forums,  just attracks
> crackers.
> I guess it just depends on the person, I just prefer to use different e-mail
> accounts for work and personal stuff.
> I guest if you guys think that it's wrong to do so, please let me know why,
> cause I really can't think of any reasons.
> Again, sorry guys I didn't mean to offend you.

I currently create a new email address for every category of mailing list
that I join.

I know others use special accounts for mailing lists which refuse to receive
any mail that doesn't come from one of the lists that they associate with
the account (or else they accomplish the filtering in their email client).

A word of warning:  When I first joined freebsd-questions, I joined with my
"main" preferred only-for-friends spam-safe email address by mistake.  Being
lazy, I waited a few hours to correct that, unjoining, and rejoining with
the desired address.  But ever since then I get matching paired spams on the
two addresses:  the one I used by mistake for a few hours, and the one that
I use at the moment ONLY for freebsd-questions.

Fortunately I get only 1 or 2 spams a day like this, but I'm afraid it will
grow and I will have to give up my main email address, or get deeply into
spam filtering, which so far I have avoided.

Regards,
Kurt Bigler