Date:      Sat, 14 Jan 2017 10:35:17 -0700
From:      Alan Somers <asomers@freebsd.org>
To:        David Chisnall <theraven@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Ernie Luzar <luzar722@gmail.com>, FreeBSD CURRENT <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: vt(4) chops off the leftmost three columns

On Sat, Jan 14, 2017 at 4:43 AM, David Chisnall <theraven@freebsd.org> wrot=
e:
> On 13 Jan 2017, at 01:00, Ernie Luzar <luzar722@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> VT should have had better testing before becoming the default in 11.0.
>
> The choice was VT or no acceleration in X11, because all of the new DRI d=
rivers depend on KMS, which requires VT.  We only got VT in a useable state=
 (and therefore useable accelerated X11 for most of the 10.x series) becaus=
e the Foundation funded the work.  More contributions to VT are always welc=
ome, but the choice was not between VT or something better tested, it was b=
etween VT and black screens.

> David

I should add, BTW, that on my Haswell desktop, the only place where I
care about graphics, vt(4) works great.  It works better than Linux
did on the same hardware.  It also uses a DVI monitor, so there are no
issues with the borders.

-Alan