Date:      Wed, 10 Dec 1997 09:37:32 +0100
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Questions about mt and SCSI subsystem

As Justin T. Gibbs wrote:

>   The FreeBSD st driver (including the CAM one),
> return EIO when a filemark is encountered or  a "blank check" is reported.
> It's up to the reading program to decide what that means.

This is wrong.  It breaks the normal conventions for read(2) that say
encountering EOF upon a read request should terminate the request with
an appropriate return value (possibly 0 bytes read), but with no error
condition.  As such, it breaks the EOF detection in dump(8).

Of course, returning EIO afterwards is appropriate.

> Assuming the device supports the READ POSITION scsi command, there's no
> reason we can't add this feature to mt/sa(4).

Unfortunately, READ POSITION only reports block numbers, but not tape
file numbers.  A block number is rather useless for most people, while
many are interested in the current tape file number.  We have to count
the filemarks manually in the driver, i'm afraid.

(I've been playing with READ POSITION a little.)

--
cheers, J"org