Date:      Tue, 17 Jun 1997 16:10:40 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Tom T. Thai" <tomthai@future.net>
To:        "John T. Farmer" <jfarmer@sabre.goldsword.com>
Cc:        dennis@etinc.com, map@iphil.net, isp@FreeBSD.ORG, jfarmer@goldsword.com
Subject:   Re: Comparison

I believe you can with the right drivers.  For instance, take a PRI/T1
card with MVIP interface and hook it up to a 24 highdensity card via the
MVIP interface.  ISDN is handled by the T1/PRI card and if it detects
analog, it passes the call to the analog modem card.  The hardware is out
there, but no drivers.

On Tue, 17 Jun 1997, John T. Farmer wrote:

> On Tue Jun 17 11:06:51 1997 dennis said:
> >At 01:57 PM 6/17/97 +0800, you wrote:
> >>Hi,

> >This is non-sense, but the market for unix is way too small and NT probably
> >doesnt have the hooks to do it properly. It IS a big project, and to do EI
> >would
> >require getting tons of approvals and testing sites......but channelized T1 is
> >more reasonable. We dont plan on doing it though. Can't do everything, and
> >selling unix into high-end scenarios is a tough job.
> >

> >>Perhaps.  However I am interested, and I'm sure many other folks are,
> >>in the interests of ease-of-management.  Channelized E1 gear such as
> >>the Ascend MAX 4000 support a whole lot of stuff like ISDN and frame
> >>which we cannot use anyway, but add to the cost (fantastic!)
>
> I'm coming into this in the middle so to speak, and so I'm not sure what
> exactly was being discussed but it sounds like it's related to something
> that I'm interested in, that is ISDN interfaces for BRI & PRI that will
> operate under FreeBSD.
>
> So far, what I've seen are some older cards that used to work under FreeBSD.
>
> What I would like to be able to do is to use it for PPP & MPP.  If it could
> accept "voice/modem" calls (aka k56) that would be a win also.  I suppose
> that what I want is to able to add the ability of an Ascend 1800 or 2000
> to a FreeBSD box :^> (Max 1800 handles 8 BRI's, supports upto 16 64k ppp
> links for ~ $6k.  Add ~$5k & it supports 16 k56/33.6 channels.  The 2000
> does the same using a PRI.)
>
> So any ideas?
>
> John

> John T. Farmer			Proprietor, GoldSword Systems
> jfarmer@goldsword.com		Public Internet Access in East Tennessee
> dial-in (423)470-9953		for info, e-mail to info@goldsword.com
> 	Network Design, Internet Services & Servers, Consulting

Thomas T. Thai          Infomedia Interactive Communications
tom@iic.net             TEL 612.376.9090 * FAX 612.376.9087