Date:      Wed, 18 Nov 2015 13:25:02 +0300
From:      Slawa Olhovchenkov <slw@zxy.spb.ru>
To:        Freddie Cash <fjwcash@gmail.com>
Cc:        Royce Williams <royce@tycho.org>, freebsd-stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>, Borja Marcos <borjam@sarenet.es>, Kai Gallasch <k@free.de>, Kevin Oberman <rkoberman@gmail.com>, freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: LSI SAS2008 mps driver preferred firmware version
References:  <5644FF09.9090200@free.de> <CA%2BE3k93QrUFA3BvhoswkVDXh2bR2aLYG6Z0TOrisVvNL=%2BMZVA@mail.gmail.com> <56472686.5030301@free.de> <20151114143104.GA41119@in-addr.com> <7710CBCC-E68F-4454-9E29-E50ED1C6B511@sarenet.es> <CAN6yY1sH0PnnF_AGwDsA75i_Z6ptOr4J0c_Gqrt%2BRFO6eZsW-Q@mail.gmail.com> <CAOjFWZ4Js65gQZc6rbT9SKg-jZozziTa=JGpJys6HyejdgWP%2Bg@mail.gmail.com> <20151116205734.GM48728@zxy.spb.ru> <CAOjFWZ49A8b6g=mQL3jzJaNX-Lf%2BuDCvmscyB6F4tr7Ax=HMbg@mail.gmail.com>

On Mon, Nov 16, 2015 at 01:19:55PM -0800, Freddie Cash wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 16, 2015 at 12:57 PM, Slawa Olhovchenkov <slw@zxy.spb.ru> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Nov 16, 2015 at 11:40:12AM -0800, Freddie Cash wrote:

> > file
> > fstab.
> > > >

> > > ​Even if you are using ZFS, labelling the drives with the location of the
> > > disk in the system (enclosure, column, row, whatever) makes things so
> > much
> > > easier to work with when there are disk-related issues.
> > >
> > > Just create a single partition that covers the whole disk, label it, and
> > > use the label to create the vdevs in the pool.​
> >
> > Bad idea.
> > Re-placed disk in different bay don't relabel automaticly.
> >

> ​Did the original disk get labelled automatically?  No, you had to do that
> when you first started using it.  So, why would you expect a
> replaced disk

Initial labeling is problem too.
For new chassis with 36 identical disk (already installed) -- what is
simple way to labeling disks?

> to get labelled automatically?

Consistency keeping is another problem.

> Offline the dead/dying disk.
> Physically remove the disk.
> Insert the new disk.
> Partition / label the new disk.
> "zfs replace" using the new label to get it into the pool.​

New disk can be inserted in free bay.
This is may be done by remote hand.
And I can be miss information where disk is placed.

> > Other issuse where disk placed in bay some remotely hands in data
> > center -- I am relay don't know how disk distributed by bays.
> >

> ​You label the disks as they are added to the system the first time.  That
> way, you always know where each disk is located, and you only deal with the
> labels.
>
> Then, when you need to replace a disk (or ask someone in a remote location
> to replace it) it's a simple matter:  the label on the disk itself tells
> you where the disk is physically located.  And it doesn't change if the
> controller decides to change the direction it enumerates devices.
>
> Which is easier to tell someone in a remote location:

"Replace disk in bay with blinked led"