Date:      Sat, 27 May 2006 22:12:38 -0700
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@phk.freebsd.dk>
Cc:        arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: A sort of plan for consoles in FreeBSD

#1 is sort of independent as it stops being used at the moment FreeBSd starts.

> 2. The boot/DDB/printf(9)/panic(9) console ("The low-level console").
>     Polled operation since interrupts may not be working.

I always want this to be set to be the same device as #1.
(with dcons that is already not possible)

> 3. The tty which /sbin/init uses for single-user and /etc/rc
>     Can be any tty, but convention has been "/dev/console"

I would want this to be the same device as  #2

> 4. The /dev/console device in multi-user mode.
>     Emergency output device for critical messages.

but, emergency messages from where? You've coverred the ones I care about above.

My main concern is that when I have a single serial console,
All these things are captured on the session logger that is monitoring it.

As long as that can happen I'm not too worried about how that happens.