Date:      Thu, 9 Nov 1995 09:01:31 +0000 ()
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Load/Store using FPU regs ...

koshy@blr.novell.com stands accused of saying:
>     >>> L20: fldl (%ebx) fstpl (%ecx) ...
>     >>>
>     >>> The resulting program copies data at about 60 Megabytes per
>     >>> second.
>

> Using the FPU registers for memmove/bitblt operations was a technique
> I first saw on an i860.  We used to do a series of reads into FPU regs

Wheras those of us with 68K backgrounds are rolling in the aisles about
this one 8)

(For the uninitiated; the 68K can read/write arbitrary groups of registers
 and increment/decrement the source/destination pointers at the same time.
 Depending on coding technique, you can read or write as much as 56
 bytes at a time; the big win (microcoded processor, remember) being no
 instruction fetches between reads.  It's a pity that Motorola have axed
 it as a mainstram family 8( )

Anyway, enough from the nostalgia corner - I'm too young for this!

]] High-speed data acquisition and      (GSM mobile) 041-122-496        [[
]] My car has "demand start" -Terry Lambert  UNIX: live FreeBSD or die! [[