Date:      Fri, 14 Nov 1997 15:25:17 -0500
From:      Dave Alderman <dave@persprog.com>
To:        "Gary T. Corcoran" <garycorc@idt.net>
Cc:        Stefan Molnar <stefan@exis.net>, Ross Potts <rpotts@med.osd.mil>, freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: modems

Gary T. Corcoran wrote:

> Stefan Molnar wrote:
> Actually it's not the 'UART chip' that's emulated in software, it's the
> 'controller' microprocessor (often a Z-80).  That is, it's the chip that
> interprets the 'AT' commands and controls the datapump (DSP) which is emulated
> in software.  Generically, they're known as 'controllerless' modems.
>
> Nevertheless, they only come with Windows drivers to emulate the controller,
> and won't work in *any* Unix environment, including FreeBSD.

If I remember correctly, there used to be a modem called an RPI modem that performed the
data compression in software as well as the modem control functions.  Very nasty. Are any
of the current crop of "winmodems" similar to the old Rockwell RPI based stinkers?

NOTE:  I like Rockwell modem chipsets in general - I just thought RPI was ill-conceived.

--
"Going down to South Park - going to leave my woes behind..."
David W. Alderman	dave@persprog.com