Date:      Fri, 28 May 1999 15:41:48 +1200
From:      Andrew McNaughton <andrew@squiz.co.nz>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: reformatting part of a drive

> On Wed, 26 May 1999, Andrew McNaughton wrote:
>

> > This is urgent.  If anyone can answer this quickly it would make a big
> > difference to me.
> >
> > I have a 10.2GB drive which I've partitioned, and put some important data in
> > the last partition.  I'm now ready to set up the system which I intended to
> > reside in the  second partition, and I've realised there is a problem.
> >
> > I have made the first partition, more than 1024 cylinders long, so it seems I
> > will need to re-arrange things in order to boot from the second partition.
> >
> > Can I do this safely without risking the data stored on the last partition?
> > Is it just a case of makeing sure that the partition editor indicates the same
> > offset and size for the partition when I set up the new layout?
>
> Does your BIOS support LBA mode?  If so turn it on.
>
> Doug White

I don't know.  The machine is an old one, and I don't have the BIOS password.  I could reset the bios, but I'm a bit wary of what might crop up, and time is limited.

For the moment I've just opted for installing in the first partition, but I'm having no success there either.  The boot process gets as far as asking for a function key for the appropriate boot option, but any key press results in a beep and nothing more.  There seems to be slightly less delay in issuing the beep if I press F1 for the partition where I have installed stuff.

The installer did get to trying to install the bin distribution, but I haven't been able to get it to install from the file system at the end of the drive.  I've managed to untar the bin distribution into place, but something's still failing in the boot procedure.

From a quick look on the net, LBA concerns addressing.  Does the fact that I can mount a partition starting 6GB into the drive mean it is on?  Is there any way I can check this from fixit mode?

Andrew McNaughton