Date:      Wed, 07 Mar 2001 09:09:36 +0000
From:      Antony T Curtis <antony@abacus.co.uk>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Cc:        "Hartmann, O." <ohartman@klima.physik.uni-mainz.de>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ARCH flag in new make.conf

Kris Kennaway wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 07, 2001 at 09:30:33AM +0100, Hartmann, O. wrote:
> > Dear Sirs.
> >
> > I'm really confused and surprised by the fact, that with the upcoming new
> > FreeBSD 4.3 in its make.conf we can choose architectural parameters for the
> > CPU architecture. And I will tell you why.

<snip>

> I've been running NIS on FreeBSD with world and kernel compiled with
> -march=pentiumpro for about 9 months with no ill effects.  In fact
> I've never heard of reports of bad code generation using the -march
> settings -- it appears to be very stable.  Are you sure you didn't
> have a nonstandard optimization setting (-O2, etc) as well?

I have world compiled with -O2 with no ill effect (that I have noticed)
but if I compile the kernel with -O2, it looks okay but has problems
with talking TCP/IP - seems to generate faulty checksums and some other
quirks.... To put it simply, stable kernels are only with -O (in my
experience)

(however, I have compiled KLDs with -O2 with no ill effect)

--
ANTONY T CURTIS                     Tel: +44 (1635) 36222
Abacus Polar Holdings Ltd           Fax: +44 (1635) 38670