Date:      Sat, 30 Dec 1995 14:15:35 -0500 (EST)
From:      Barry Masterson <jbarrm@panix.com>
To:        Stephen Couchman <scouch@io.org>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ijppp cannot talk to modem (/dev/cuaa1)

Stephen,

I can now sympathise with your situation. In an attempt to run ppp
as a normal user, I've caused ppp to respond to all of my requests
of 'dial panix' 'set ?' 'show modem' with a "What?".

Briefly, I copyed the ppp file to my home ~/bin directory. I could
'su' & start ppp, but got the "what?" with every request. I also added
the /etc/ppp.* files to my home directory:  ~/ppp/.ppp.*

I've since removed all of those home~/bin & ~/ppp entries, and restored
everything back to its original setup. But even now as root, ppp still
responds to my requests with "what?". I've even recompiled ppp from
the /usr/src/usr.sbin/ppp files, but no luck.

I should have left it alone.

Barry
  FreeBSD     2.1.0