Date:      Tue, 14 Jul 1998 09:02:44 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Jim Lowe <james@miller.cs.uwm.edu>
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Spigot still supported?

> To: Jim Lowe <james@miller.cs.uwm.edu>
> cc: multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
> Subject: Re: Spigot still supported?
> Date: Mon, 13 Jul 1998 21:06:32 -0700
>
> Yeargh, I forgot about SPIGOT_UNSECURE, thanks.  However, even when
> running as root and the following being true:
>
> (#) dmesg|grep spigot
> spigot0 at 0xad6 irq 15 maddr 0xee000 on isa
> (#) ls -l /dev/spigot
> cr--r--r--  1 root  wheel   11,   0 Jul 12 19:42 /dev/spigot
>
> I still don't see the spigot listed as a grabber type.  I'll try again
> with SPIGOT_UNSECURE and see if that makes any difference.

Running as root would also solve the permission problem, the device
should be readable/writeable (rw) by whoever is using it.

I suspect the problem is that /usr/local/lib/libspigot.a was not
installed when you compiled vic.  The config for vic checks for this
library and if it exists, then it includes the spigot grabber
code.  Libspigot.a can be installed using /usr/ports/graphics/spigot/.
Once the library is installed, you will need to reconfig/make vic.

> > ports collection contains vic with the patched grabber_meteor.cc for
> > YUV_PACKED mode.  Do you still have lock up problems with the meteor
>
> To be honest, I hadn't actually tried it with vic - since I don't have
> multicast working over here.  Neither I nor CRL seem to be able to get
> the routers talking multicast to one another, despite my having done
> everything to our router on this end that various people told me to
> do; it perhaps being still on the CRL end since they're not all that
> familiar with multicast over there and may not even be getting it onto
> their internal network correctly, thus explaining why I didn't have

The mbone tools work in unicast mode, as well as, multicast mode.
Multicast is fairly striaght forward in the setup, it depends on
what type of routers you are using and what procotols you are
using to exchange routing information.

> very good results from my end.  In any case, is it possible to disable
> this in the meteor driver itself so that things like "tv" don't use
> it?  My main use for the meteor was actually taking snapshots of
> things using tv - I never actually used it for conferencing. :)

I looked for the tv app in ports, but couldn't find it.  It should
be fairly straight forward to disable the multiple dma problem with
the meteor.  Just make sure your app doesn't use YUV_422 or YUV_PLANAR
modes.  If the app uses either of these modes, change it to use YUV_PACKED.
Essentially, all three modes contain the same data, just different ordering.
The RGB modes shouldn't have the same problem because they don't use
multiple dma channels when coping the data to memory.

	-Jim