Date:      Mon, 20 Jan 1997 12:42:39 +0100 (MET)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        dtc@scrooge.ee.swin.oz.au (Douglas Thomas Crosher)
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: possible madvise MADV_FREE improvement

> > when does the system decide for disposing the pages, and wouldn't it be
> > nice (and easy to implement) to have an option to force this behaviour ?
> With the recent improvements it's not too much more costly to have the
> application zero the page, then call madvise MADV_FREE. But be careful

ouch! my point was to avoid an explicit zeroing of the page(s) to
possibly reduce the latency of a bzero()/calloc() in case zeroed
pages already exist, and to reduce the memory footprint in case a
huge chunk of memory is used to simulate an associative array (I
do this from time to time, when you know you have enough RAM your
code runs very fast and you save a lot of coding time!)

	Luigi