Date:      Sun, 24 Jun 2001 12:51:52 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>
To:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>
Cc:        "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>, <js43064n@pace.edu>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>, <freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Kernel Panic

:
:> However, if the script DID load itself, a recursive script
:> under an ordinary user ID isn't allowed to crash the
:> system.
:
:Yes it is, unfortunately.  FreeBSD doesn't like running out of swap
:space.  Matt Dillon has been trying to correct this in -CURRENT, but
:it's not completely fixed yet.
:
:DES
:--
:Dag-Erling Smorgrav - des@ofug.org

    The out of swap handling should be completely fixed on -current and
    -stable now.  My tests and Paul Saab's tests come up roses now.

    In regards to the original authors bug report... I haven't heard what
    version of FreeBSD he is running.  Under normal circumstances a runaway
    script should not be able to take the machine down.  Prior to the
    swap handling fixes if sufficient resource limits are set or the
    script is run as root, then such a script could lockup the machhine.
    But it is also unclear to me what the author meant by "crash"... did
    it panic?  Was there a panic message?  Did it start bashing the disks
    and appear not to stop?  What?

						-Matt