Date:      Sat, 17 Jan 2004 13:23:11 -0500
From:      Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
To:        Khairil Yusof <kaeru@pd.jaring.my>
Cc:        FreeBSD GNOME Users <gnome@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Openoffice (other zipped file formats) vs Nautilus 2.5.5

--=-4lfdJNhT1qP4x5WOJL7m

On Sat, 2004-01-17 at 11:54, Khairil Yusof wrote:
> I've noticed this with recent Nautilus releases.
>=20
> It will "correctly" detect that some compressed file formats such as
> OpenOffice and Dia as zip or gzip archives.
>=20
> Is there a way to override this file detection capability for specific
> files (eg. extension over file format)?

This is the new xdg MIME stuff.  Instead of using extensions, it uses
magic to determine file types.  It doesn't seem like the old MIME stuff
is consulted anymore.  That is, if XDG fails, it falls back to
application/octet-stream.  All of this is in gnome-vfs.  You may want to
file a bug against it, or ask around to see what's going to happen with
the classic MIME stuff.

Joe