Date:      Sun, 29 Sep 1996 11:24:06 +0200 (EET)
From:      mika ruohotie <bsdscsi@shadows.aeon.net>
To:        jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com (Joe Greco)
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org, scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: striping/mirroring?

> Having used ccd extensively for the past year, on production news server
> systems, I think I can safely state that you need not concern yourself
> too much with "striping crashes"...  you are more likely to run into a
> dead disk than a problem with ccd.  I have over two dozen heavily utilized
> ccd partitions in operation and have not seen any problems with ccd.

when i said "striping crash" i included dead drive there too... i meant
crash being _anything_ that interferes the striping and causes me a
serious loss of data...

> If you are looking purely for reliability, look for a RAID solution.
> RAID's are more reliable than a SLED (Single Large Expensive Disk).

i know that. but i would have a _hard_ time to explain to my boss why we
should spend $$$$$ instead of $$$ since he has no knowledge whatsoever
how the systems actually work... and is not too happy spending too much
money...

mickey
--
     mika@aeon.net     mika ruohotie