Date:      Fri, 13 Jan 2006 20:10:06 -0500
From:      Ken Stevenson <ken@abbott.allenmyland.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   postgresql doesn't start on boot-up

I'm new to FreeBSD and for the first time ever, I cvsupp'ed
to freebsd-stable 6 and rebuilt everthing, following the instructions
in the handbook. It went pretty smoothly except that several services
failed to start and others acted badly.

In particular:

Initially, postfix, cups and postgresql failed to start.

named started too late, so ntpd couldn't resolve the timeserver names
and couldn't set the time. I solved this per the suggestion in a prior
post by setting:

early_late_divider="NETWORKING" in rc.conf.

cups didn't start because it didn't understand the faststart argument
it was being passed. I just recompiled Samba without CUPS since I don't
have any printers anyway.

The one I can't figure out is postgresql. It doesn't start, but after
the server finishes booting, I can start it manually by running the
010pgsql.sh script.

Also, this is probably a stupid question, but is there a boot.log or
something like that shows the bootup messages that come after dmesg?

--
Ken Stevenson
Allen-Myland Inc.