Date:      Mon, 18 Sep 1995 02:30:41 +0100
From:      Gary Palmer <gary@palmer.demon.co.uk>
To:        Rob Mallory <rmallory@wiley.csusb.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Current status report

In message <199509180038.AA21675@wiley.csusb.edu>, Rob Mallory writes:
>I'm not one to rag on anyone directly; but it's amazing how quiet
>everyone has been with the current ~sys brokeness in -current.
>Everyone should be *proud* that there has not been an uproar
>(at least not on the public mailing lists) about the 3-week
>lack of a stable kernel.

I think there has been an uproar. Just not the out and out flame war
that some people may expect. What I think is more important is that
people recognise that John, David, et al DO know that there is a
problem and are working hard to try and correct it. I'm glad, in a
way, that people have not been shouting from the rooftops complaining
about this - it'd just slow down any progress towards a working
bugfix...

>Don't even think about screaming "Current is for those who ..."
>I have been on -hackers since 1.0. I am lucky [wise] enough to
>have a spare 1gig drive with a 'current/stable' OS and src tree.
>...there are many less fortunate -current users who are "afraid"
>to speak up (for fear of being flamed, killfile'd, or blacklisted)
>who are having to re-install 2.1SNAP or sup -stable.

If anyone killfiles or blacklistes ANYONE for putting forward VALID
complaints about our source, then they are not acting sensibly and are
not representative of the majority of the readers on this list, and
certainly not representative of the core team.

We NEED feedback! We can't operate in the dark here. Sure, we don't
need the kind of mass flaming that I've seen in some instances in the
past, but we DO appreciate user feedback, and don't let anyone tell
you different.

>I just want to acknowlege those [we] -current users, and
>possibly get a satisfyingly-complete status report on the current
>state of the ~sys tree.

I'm sure John or David will post something once they actually KNOW
what is going on... Posting incomplete information, or guesswork,
often lends to more anger amongst readers than saying nothing at all.

>I really want to get back to testing the new stuff in -current!
>like the ncr825, userconfig, vm-performance, gus,  ...
>Its hard waiting alone in the dark.

So do we all, but we do put LARGE notices in docs: -current SHOULD NOT
BE EXPECTED TO WORK! If you want something that works, use
-stable. Freefall is now running from the stable branch, so is
wcarchive. Whilst a 3 week outage (has it really been that long?
Yipes) is perhaps not expected, and definately not wanted, it is the
price of progress...

I'd like to thank people for their patience in this matter, and ask
them to hold on a while longer. The kernel is a VERY complex beast,
and I'm sure that John/David will be able to tame it again soon!

Gary