Date:      Tue, 28 Apr 1998 23:11:05 -0600
From:      "William J. Manning" <wmanning@flash.net>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Installation problems....

Hi,
	I am trying to install FreeBSD v2.2.5 using a boot floppy I created using
Walnut Creek’s CDROM distribution.  My system boots up successfully from the
floppy and I am presented with three options:

1.  Skip kernel configuration and continue with the installation
2.  Start kernel configuration in full screen visual mode
3.  Start kernel configuration in CLI mode

I  select the second option and configure the kernel:

Floppy at IRQ6 (default - not edited)
IDE hard drives at IRQ 14 and 15 (default - not edited)
Sony CDROM at IRQ 5 address 0x340 (I do edit the default settings to these
values)
PS/2 Port mouse IRQ 12
I remove all the network devices, no network card on my system
I keep all the COM and LPT ports, except LPT2. The IRQs
  COM1 - IRQ 4
  COM2 - IRQ 3
  LPT1 - IRQ7
I keep all the PCI devices because it won’t let me remove them.

I then select "Q" to save and quit.  The system spins the floppy for a
second and then hangs!  So I don’t know if the new kernel has been written
to the disk (I doubt it).  When I reset/reboot the system, it boots from the
floppy and searches for and tries to load drivers for devices I remove
previously.  When I select option 2 again, I see the original kernel
choices.  This leads me to believe their is a problem? (Nope, my mom didn’t
raise no fool!)

My system is a P-133 from Gateway with 32MB of RAM and the hardware
described earlier (obviously).  I know you  have just released FreeBSD
v2.2.6 but this version should work also.   What should I do?  Should I just
select option 1 and just follow the Novice installation and hope for the
best?  Any help would be greatly appreciated. (The small booklet that came
with the CDROM is not much help.  It assumes that everything is going to
work…

Thanks,
William
wmanning@flash.net