Date:      11 Mar 2000 13:19:44 -0500
From:      Rajappa Iyer <rsi@panix.com>
To:        Paul Richards <paul@originative.co.uk>
Cc:        Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>, John Grimes <jegjr@erols.com>, Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>, Didier Derny <didier@omnix.net>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Is FreeBSD dead ?(NO)

Paul Richards <paul@originative.co.uk> writes:

> The devil is in the detail. If the core team is stuffed full of WC and
> BSDI employees, who have a responsibility to their employer as well as
> to the project, then there will clearly be conflicts of interest and an
> undoubted leaning to solutions and methods of management that fit the
> commercial interests of their employer.

The question really boils down to: do we trust the core team members
to look out for the best interests of the community?  Nothing I've
seen or heard so far indicates that there is reason to be concerned
about that, but even if that happy situation does not persist, the
community is larger than the core team.  If, at any time, the
community feels that the core team does not represent its best
interests, I'm sure that appropriate remedies can be applied---from
gentle advocacy to changing the core team members.  If even that
doesn't work, there is always the solution of last resort: forking.

That said, I must repeat: I have seen evidence of nothing but the
highest degree of integrity on part of the core team members and as
such they deserve not just our appreciation, but trust as well.  I see
no reason to be concerned about the demise of FreeBSD as we know and
love it.

Rajappa
--
<rsi@panix.com> a.k.a. Rajappa Iyer.		New York, New York.
	Where would we be without rhetorical questions?