Date:      Fri, 24 Jan 2003 21:01:31 +0100
From:      dirk.meyer@dinoex.sub.org (Dirk Meyer)
To:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Patch for _TMLINKS errors in 'make index'

Kris Kennaway schrieb:,

> The following patch seems to fix the error messages spewed out by
> 'make index' when running the 'describe' target on the cdk and
> openssl-beta ports.  The errors occur because these ports have a huge
> number of MLINKS, and they overflow the command line in a bsd.port.mk
> variable assignment.  I'm not entirely happy with the way I ended up
> fixing the problem (thanks to fenner for the suggestion), but I
> couldn't find a better one.

Why do we need _MLINKS in the enviroment of the commandline anyway?
Please enlighten me.

NOPRECIOUSMAKEVARS=yes

has fixed all the problems.
in tcl84 as well as in openssl-beta.

Suggestion:
1) it could be automaticly set while calling make describe.
2) don't add _MLINKS to __softMAKEFLAGS

see also:
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=ports/33278

- Dirk Meyer, Im Grund 4, 34317 Habichtswald, Germany
- [dirk.meyer@dinoex.sub.org],[dirk.meyer@guug.de],[dinoex@FreeBSD.org]