Date:      Mon, 21 Jul 1997 06:19:30 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        bde@freebsd.org
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   /boot.foo madness

Because of the introduction of these three files:

	/boot.config
	/boot.help
	/kernel.config

New RELENG_2_2 installations now come up with a root filesystem which
contains none of these files, resulting in 3 fairly ominous-looking
error messages on startup and a complete lack of boot help.  This is
simply not an acceptable scenario, and the question I'd like to bring
before you all is: "How do we want to fix it?"

I can think of several ways, all kind of gross.

One way would be to install these files along with the boot blocks if
they don't already exist in the targetdir, the "pros" of that approach
being that you could update your boot blocks and prototype boot
configuration files in one place, plus it'd wind up in the bindist(s)
by default.  The #1 con of this idea is that it's truly gross to
contemplate install rules writing into /, plus you'd have a staleness
problem as things changed.  Updating /etc is enough of an established
no-no, now we're talking about installing things straight into the
root dir?  Surely the beginning of the end, that would be.

Another way would be to artificially create these files in the bin
dist(s) through the efforts of one of the release building rules in
/usr/src/release/Makefile.  This would allow us to get away with not
modifying anybody's install rules at the expense of yet more confusing
"magic" inside of /usr/src/release/Makefile

Either approach which splats things into the bindist also runs the
risk of blowing away your configuration data during an upgrade, since
that would involve copying another bindist over the old, and that's
why the 3rd and perhaps least offensive alternative is to put this
into the "post-install fixup" procedure in sysinstall which puts the
last few finishing and somewhat kludgy touches on an extracted bin
dist.  This could then intelligently add the files if they did not
already exist.

Comments?

					Jordan