Date:      Thu, 4 Apr 1996 17:36:37 +1000
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        archie@tribe.com, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: COMCONSOLE speed

> o COMCONSOLE seems to have a default setting of 9600 baud,
>   which makes sense, because the serial driver probe seems
>   to set the serial driver to this value also.

>   But it would be nice if you could set COMCONSOLE to 57600
>   or something different. 9600 baud is pretty slow.

The only ways to changes it are to edit the sources or the
kernel binaries (comdefaultrate in the kernel binary and an
opcode in the bootstrap).

> o COMCONSOLE in conjunction with netboot doesn't work so
>   well, I guess because netboot doesn't initialize the serial
>   port (and DOS seems to leave it in some stupid state). The
>   result is garbled output between the time the boot begins
>   and the time the serial ports are initialized (to 9600 baud).

Netboot doesn't support output to the serial port.  The console is
supposed to be initialized before it is written to.  I don't use
COMCONSOLE directly (I boot with -h) so I wouldn't have noticed if
there is a speed problem.  The driver is supposed to switch the
speed on the fly and wait for output to drain so that it works no
matter what the speed is when it is called.  This is mainly to allow
debugging of the ioctl to change the speed, but I have been depending
on it to recover from screwing up the speed in /etc/rc.serial - I
always set it to 115200 there.  Unfortunately, changing the speed
breaks cncheckc().  Garbling might be caused by the output not being
drained properly or the on the fly switching of other parts of the
line state not working.

>Secondly, has anyone else gotten FreeBSD to detect the following
>internal modems? I can't:

> o Cardinal 28.8 v.34 faxmodem

> o ZOOM faxmodem v.34i (model 275)

-current has more chance of detecting them.

>Finally, is it the case that FreeBSD 2.1R *requires* a vga card
>to be installed in order to even boot? My netboot kernel page faults
>after the device probes when I take out the video card.

It should work.  Try disabling the console driver(s).  scprobe() always
succeeds.  It's not clear what the driver will do when there is no vga
card.

Bruce