Date:      Tue, 29 Sep 1998 10:13:44 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Scott Smyth <smyth@bashful.realminfo.com>
To:        "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@u.washington.edu>
Cc:        "Gerald E. Bennett" <geb@silres.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: RPM

Jason;

RPM keeps a library of all the rpms installed, dependencies,
etc...  As you noticed, the /var/local/lib/rpm/packages.rpm
is not there.  RPM has --rebuilddb and --initdb options to
rebuild and construct a rpm database.  I recommend trying a
--initdb if you did not already have a database going (which
will be overwritten if you did).  In the future if you see any
corruption, you might try a --rebuilddb (rpm --rebuilddb).  The
--dbpath allows you to specify the path of the rpm database.
So, you can do a "rpm --initdb --dbpath /var/local/lib/rpm".
You might have to check to see if /var/local/lib/rpm is indeed
created by the FreeBSD package install.

We are certified RedHat engineers if you need anything, just let
me know.

Good Luck,
Scott

On Mon, 28 Sep 1998, Jason C. Wells wrote:

> On Sun, 27 Sep 1998, Gerald E. Bennett wrote:
>
> >I just installed Linux and RPM using the /usr/misc/ports/rmp port
> >
> >Now when I use rpm:
> >
> >bash-2.01# rpm -ivh executor-libc5-demo-2.0w-1.i386.rpm
> >failed to open //var/local/lib/rpm/packages.rpm
> >
> >error: cannot open //var/local/lib/rpm/packages.rpm
>
> RPM is pretty linux specific. You may have better luck asking a linux
> forum how to set it up.
>
> Just off the top of my head, I would say that /var/local doesn't even
> exist on your FreeBSD system. This is just a guess.
>
> Catchya Later,		|	UW Mechanical Engineering
> Jason Wells		|	http://weber.u.washington.edu/~jcwells/

Scott Smyth, Senior Developer R&D
(770) 446-1332
ssmyth@realminfo.com