Date:      Mon, 18 Dec 2000 09:23:57 -0800 (PST)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <rizzo@aciri.org>
To:        nicolai@petri.cc (Nicolai Petri)
Cc:        term@rmci.net, freebsd-ipfw@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Bandwith limitation (Is it possible to...)

> > Why would you ever want to do that? That would be the same as no bandwidth
> > limit
>
> Not exactly. I wish to allow almost unlimited http access to everyone but
> limit the amount of news/ftp traffic used. But it would be fair to allow
> possible free bandwith to be used for those who run news/ftp.

you can use the WF2Q+ feature in dummynet in 4.2 and CURRENT.
See http://www.iet.unipi.it/~luigi/ip_dummynet/
for more detailed instructions.
The way to act would be to pass news/ftp traffic through
a queue with low weight (say 1..5) and the rest of the
traffic through a queue with a weight which is 20 times
larger. Then you link the queues to a pipe with
a bw of 25-30 Mbit (to account for packet headers overhead).

	cheers
	luigi