Date:      Fri, 30 Jan 1998 14:30:41 +0100
From:      Johan Allard <allard@netman.se>
To:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: zp0 multicasting question

At 08:47 1998-01-29 -0700, Nate Williams wrote:
>> I am sitting here and experimenting with my laptop with an 3com 3c589D
>> card. It works fine with the zp driver from 2.2.5-RELEASE but it doesn't
>> have any MULTICAST option set in ifconfig.
>
>Nope, but if you used the PCCARD version it would have support.

The problem here is that I have a Cirrus Logic GD6832 CardBus controller
and the release version doesnt support it out of the box.

>> Therefore I installed the
>> PAO-971211 and everything compiled perfectly.
>
>You didn't need the PAO patches to get the PCCARD support, but oh
>well. :)

See above.

>> After som testing i got everything configured and running. The only
>> problem I have now is that i get really, really bad performance on my
>> network card. During a regular tcpdump the kernel drops aprox 50% of
>> all packets. Does anyone have any idea?
>
>I'm not sure what if_ep.c driver PAO uses, but if it's the driver in
>-current that might signify a problem.  It was recently 'simplified',
>but it turns out the simplification has caused some performance problems
>that others have noted.

If you think that moving to -current will solve my problems  i would not
have any problems with that. Its just that i dont want to spend too much
time changing release version just to see that it doesnt work there either ;-(

Thanks anyway

//johan