Date:      Fri, 30 Mar 2012 17:05:02 -0400
From:      Robert Huff <roberthuff@rcn.com>
To:        Aleksandr Miroslav <alexmiroslav@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   how often to update ports?

Aleksandr Miroslav writes:

>  How often do you folks update your ports/packages. I was manging
>  two servers for years for my personal web/email, and I've rarely
>  gone for more than 3 months with any single package being not up
>  to date, usually about once a month I would update all my ports.

	Security updates go in as soon as they can be tested locally.
	Everything else ... within a couple of days, unless a) others
report problems, or b) it requires a lot of re-building dependant
ports (e.g. perl, X, autotools).
	Caveats: no machine is mission-critical; most are lightly
loaded; spares are available.

				Robert Huff