Date:      Sat, 11 Apr 1998 12:38:56 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Tim Vanderhoek <hoek@hwcn.org>
To:        John Birrell <jb@cimlogic.com.au>
Cc:        John Fieber <jfieber@indiana.edu>, chadf@bookcase.com, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Misspelling in lib/libutil/login_cap.3 [w/ patch]

On Sat, 11 Apr 1998, John Birrell wrote:

> > > In my _*English*_ dictionary, either is acceptable.
> >
> > Citation please?
>
> The Concise Oxford Dictionary 5th edition. Printed in Great Britain.

FWIW, I've never cared much for the use of dictionaries when
composing, be they Australian, American, or English.  It's my
damn language, not theirs.

> > It may be acceptable somewhere, but I dare say that the "z"
> > version is much more widely accepted.
>
> Sorry, at school I was taught English, not American.

This `s' for `z' thing is something I've thought about ever since
I yelled at someone for Zzzing the Zed in their alphabet.  In
general I much prefer "English"-english to "American"-english,
but the `z's are something they got right.  Hello!  We're wasting
a whole letter of the alphabet simply because some people are too
caught-up in some sort of anti-American nationalistic pride.

Unless you really pronounce "authori[sz]e" with the same loud
strong audible `s' sound you use in "Sorry", I believe it should
be left as "authorize".

Besides all that, it's even more important to be consistent.  I
don't _don't_ want to read manpages that use "s" on one line, and
"z" on the next.  Yuck, yuck, yuck.

And if you suggest that one manpage can use one alternate
spelling, and another manpage another alternate spelling, then I
will calmly (or not so) explain that we have enough trouble
making people edit manpages without making them first read
through the manpage to decide which of several alternate
spellings they are supposed to use for various words.

--
Outnumbered?  Maybe.  Outspoken?  Never!
tIM...HOEk