Date:      Wed, 08 Mar 2000 22:32:47 -0500
From:      Bob Johnson <bobj@atlantic.net>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Is the PAO install always this hard?

Hi!

For what it's worth, I have installed PAO on my laptop twice, and
both times required doing two installs.  Once to install FreeBSD,
and again to add PAO.  I did it last week with 3.4R, and once
early last fall, either 3.2R or 3.3R.  It doesn't require two
complete installs, but you have to get the distributions from
two different FTP sites.

Since the original PAO instructions I read last year said this is
how it was done, I assumed that was how it was still supposed to
be working.  I did wonder why the PAO stuff couldn't be on the
main FreeBSD server so you could pick up the whole thing at
once (with less confusion), but I figured it would get ironed
out when PAO was integrated with the mainstream release.

I think perhaps what is missing right now is either putting a copy
of PAO on the main FreeBSD site and its mirrors, or some instructions
that clearly say you have to do a regular install first, then go
to the PAO site and install the PAO distribution.  I vote for
adding PAO to the main FreeBSD sites so you can do the install
the way the install disk implies it will work.  Does my vote count
for anything when you're the one that has to do the work?

The good news is that the PAO install floppy (from the PAO site)
recognizes a wide variety of PCMCIA ethernet cards, so the install
process should go pretty smoothly for most people once they know
where to get the various pieces from.

To summarize, here's what worked for me:

1) go to http://www.jp.FreeBSD.org/PAO/ and get the most appropriate
   PAO install floppy.

2) Start a "Beginner" installation using a mainstream FreeBSD site
   as the distribution source.  It will give you an error message
   complaining that it couldn't find the PAO distributions, and
   offer the chance to try again.

3) Change the distribution source to the PAO ftp site, and let
   it install the PAO distributions.

4) Complete the installation as usual.

Those instructions are for 3.x releases.

By the way (completely off topic now) I tried Corel Linux yesterday,
and used FreeBSD with the KDE desktop as a workstation for the
first time today.  FreeBSD/KDE is "ready for prime time".  Corel
Linux isn't.

- Bob