Date:      Sun, 5 Apr 1998 19:12:17 -0500 (EST)
From:      "John S. Dyson" <toor@dyson.iquest.net>
To:        obanta@unixgeeks.net (Oliver Banta)
Cc:        tom@sdf.com, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Softupdate for 2.2.6?

> Tom <tom@sdf.com> writes:
>
> > On Sun, 5 Apr 1998, Terry Lambert wrote:
> >
> > > If patches were provided, say for soft updates, would they be
> > > integrated, or would thy have to remain "third party"?
> >
> >   Would said patches work?
> >
> >   Softupdates in current does not work.  Someone would have to pull quite
> > the rabbit out of their hat to get softupdates to work in 2.2.x before
> > current.
>
>    How do you figure?  I thought Softupdates were based on 4.4BSD, so
> why would it be more difficult to port it to -STABLE?  I haven't
> followed a lot of the recent changes in either tree, so there may be
> an obvious answer that I'm missing.

Okay, the best thing that can be said, is those who might be interested
in a port should try to do it.  Don't underestimate the issues.  Again,
it isn't Kirks problem, other than it is a result of changes that we
have made.

I am not going to be able to help with a 2.2.X port, but if a group of
people decide to do it, no-one will stop them :-).

John