Date:      Mon, 20 Feb 2023 13:12:33 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        Colin Percival <cperciva@tarsnap.com>
Cc:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: RFC: Removing WITHOUT_CAPSICUM and WITHOUT_CASPER from 14.x

--0000000000003a4edf05f527495d

My only feedback is that bsd-user doesn't fully implement capsicum, which
may cause
issues with that...

Warner

On Wed, Feb 15, 2023 at 9:53 PM Colin Percival <cperciva@tarsnap.com> wrote:

> Hi FreeBSD architects,
>
> I'd like to remove WITHOUT_CAPSICUM and WITHOUT_CASPER for FreeBSD 14.x.
>
> The rationale for this is threefold:
>
> 1. They doesn't serve any useful purpose and merely weakens security;
>
> 2. They're an anomaly among WITH/WITHOUT options -- most WITHOUT_* options
> take the form "don't build/install <components>" rather than having
> effects across the entire tree.
>
> 3. They're a pain for release engineering, because approximately nobody
> ever
> tests FreeBSD with WITHOUT_CAPSICUM or WITHOUT_CASPER set, but they're the
> sort of option which can easily break the build due to having affects all
> over the tree.
>
> If nobody objects, my plan is to get rid of the WITHOUT_ build options
> first
> and leave MK_{CAPSICUM,CASPER} set unconditionally to "yes"; then sweep the
> tree (mostly a matter of running unifdef) after 14.x is branched.
>
> --
> Colin Percival
> FreeBSD Deputy Release Engineer & EC2 platform maintainer
> Founder, Tarsnap | www.tarsnap.com | Online backups for the truly paranoid

--0000000000003a4edf05f527495d

=3D"gmail_attr">On Wed, Feb 15, 2023 at 9:53 PM Colin Percival &lt;<a href=
=3D"mailto:cperciva@tarsnap.com">cperciva@tarsnap.com</a>&gt; wrote:<br></d=
iv><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;bord=
er-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">Hi FreeBSD architects,=
I&#39;d like to remove WITHOUT_CAPSICUM and WITHOUT_CASPER for FreeBSD 14.x=
.<br>
The rationale for this is threefold:<br>
1. They doesn&#39;t serve any useful purpose and merely weakens security;<b=
r>
2. They&#39;re an anomaly among WITH/WITHOUT options -- most WITHOUT_* opti=
ons<br>
take the form &quot;don&#39;t build/install &lt;components&gt;&quot; rather=
 than having<br>
effects across the entire tree.<br>
3. They&#39;re a pain for release engineering, because approximately nobody=
 ever<br>
tests FreeBSD with WITHOUT_CAPSICUM or WITHOUT_CASPER set, but they&#39;re =
the<br>
sort of option which can easily break the build due to having affects all<b=
r>
over the tree.<br>
If nobody objects, my plan is to get rid of the WITHOUT_ build options firs=
t<br>
and leave MK_{CAPSICUM,CASPER} set unconditionally to &quot;yes&quot;; then=
 sweep the<br>
tree (mostly a matter of running unifdef) after 14.x is branched.<br>
-- <br>
Colin Percival<br>
FreeBSD Deputy Release Engineer &amp; EC2 platform maintainer<br>
Founder, Tarsnap | <a href=3D"http://www.tarsnap.com" rel=3D"noreferrer" ta=
rget=3D"_blank">www.tarsnap.com</a> | Online backups for the truly paranoid=

--0000000000003a4edf05f527495d--