Date:      Tue, 2 Mar 1999 15:59:14 +0000
From:      nclayton@lehman.com
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   "ppp -alias" not working as expected

Hi,

I've got a PPP aliasing problem, and it's puzzling me.

I have one host running FreeBSD. It's got an Intel EtherExpress network
card to which a lot of IP addresses in the 192.168.1/24 network are bound.

    IP   Hostname
   ---------------
    .1   gw
    .2   dns-0
    .5   smtp
    .6   nntp
    .8   www
    .9   ftp
    .16  catkin

    .128 Virtual webservers I'm testing
    ...  before going live
    .135

"catkin" is also the main hostname. The others are so that I can (in the
long term) move services off this box to other hosts and not need to
reconfigure any client programs.

This host is running a DNS server, and DNS service seems to be working
correctly (nslookup works).

This host also has a modem attached, and I run user-land PPP to connect
to my ISP (Demon Internet) who assign me a static IP address. Outgoing
traffic correctly triggers the dial out, name service works, mail flows
in and out, and things generally work fine. The host is configured as a
gateway in /etc/rc.conf.local.

So far so good.

The other week I added a second host, running Win98 (I know, but FreeBSD
doesn't run _Half Life_) giving me a network of two. This new machine,
(inky) has the IP address .17, and is configured to use .2 as the DNS
server and .1 as the default gateway. This machine also has an Intel
EtherExpress card in it, connected (via a crossover cable) to "catkin".

Locally, this seems to work. On the W98 host I can telnet/ftp to the
FreeBSD box using IP addresses and hostnames (so the DNS is working). I
can point IE and Netscape on "inky" at web servers running on "catkin"
and get back the pages I expect. I can also connect to all the aliased
IP addresses on "catkin".

After reading the docs, I thought that getting the W98 box to talk to the
outside world would be trivial. I restarted PPP, adding the "-alias" flag.
I tested things on "catkin", and I can still get to the outside world,
download my mail and news, browse the web, and so on.

So I started IE on "inky" and tried to talk to the outside world. At this
point, the modem line was down.

Trying to connect to "www.freebsd.org" from "inky" brings the modem line
up correctly. And then it hangs. After two minutes, it times out. If I
try again, the same thing happens (however, the IE status bar now lists
the www.freebsd.org IP address rather than the FQDN, so DNS look ups are
working).

This pattern is repeated trying to access other web sites, FTP sites,
telnet'able hosts, and so on.

After reading the PPP manpage and the "Pedantic PPP Primer", I'm not
entirely sure what I'm missing, although it's almost certainly
blindingly obvious.

The FreeBSD host is running 2.2.8-stable from the end of January.

Any help appreciated.

--+==[ Systems Administrator, Year 2000 Test Lab, Lehman Brothers, Inc. ]==+--
--+==[      1 Broadgate, London, EC2M 7HA     0171-601-0011 x5514       ]==+--
--+==[              Year 2000 Testing: It's about time. . .             ]==+--