Date:      25 Mar 1999 02:56:29 +0100
From:      naddy@mips.rhein-neckar.de (Christian Weisgerber)
To:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Umlauts

Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl> wrote:

> > [ German umlauted vowel -> vowel + 'e' substitution ]
> > > I don't think other languages use anything like this,
>
> Wrong. The Dutch also use the Umlaut, but we call it a trema (IRRC).

Jörg's line didn't refer to the umlaut sign itself but rather to the
German practice of substituting vowel + 'e' for an umlauted vowel if
that character isn't available, e.g. "Jörg" -> "Joerg".

Yes, the trema is widely used. Originally from Greek, it appears in
French, Spanish, conservative English, etc. The umlaut sign also appears
in Swedish, Finnish, Turkish, etc. Strictly speaking, trema aka
diaeresis and umlaut sign are different diacritics and don't necessarily
share precisely the same glyph, but since even the Unicode people don't
differentiate the two, insisting on this fine point is probably moot.

The trema is used to indicate that two neighboring vowels are pronounced
separately. The umlaut sign, which historically derives from a
superscript 'e', indicates a fronting of the base vowel.

(And before a Swede pipes up, yes, I know that (å) ä ö are treated as
separate letters in Swedish.)
--
Christian "naddy" Weisgerber                   naddy@mips.rhein-neckar.de
LinuxTag '99 - 26./27. Juni, Uni Kaiserslautern - http://www.linuxtag.org