Date:      Wed, 28 Dec 2005 18:49:45 +0100
From:      Attila Nagy <bra@fsn.hu>
To:        freebsd-sparc64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Problems with polling on dc when setting it from rc.conf

Hello,

On a Netra X1 I run the following kernel:
FreeBSD 6.0-STABLE #0: Mon Dec 19 18:06:10 CET 2005

When I start the machine without the "polling" option in rc.conf for the
interface, everything is OK.

But when I try to set polling up during the boot:
ifconfig_dc0="inet 1.2.3.4 netmask 255.255.255.224 media 100BaseTX
mediaopt full-duplex polling up"

the machine starts up with the standard:
kernel: dc0: failed to force tx and rx to idle state

lines but seconds later it begins to drop packages along with the
following error:
kernel: dc0: TX underrun -- increasing TX threshold

then again some "idle state" messages and another TX underrun, then this:
kernel: dc0: TX underrun -- using store and forward mode

after this line is logged, the machine stops forwarding packets.

If I set polling later (for example after a few days of uptime) than in
the boot process, it seems that there are no problems.

The machine itself has some vlans on dc0 and all it does is packet
filtering with pf.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
--
Attila Nagy                                   e-mail: Attila.Nagy@fsn.hu
Adopt a directory on our free software         phone: +3630 306 6758