Date:      Tue, 13 Jul 1999 20:06:11 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        David Greenman <dg@root.com>
Cc:        "Charles M. Hannum" <root@ihack.net>, Noriyuki Soda <soda@sra.co.jp>, Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>, "Brian F. Feldman" <green@FreeBSD.ORG>, bright@rush.net, dcs@newsguy.com, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, jon@oaktree.co.uk, tech-userlevel@netbsd.org
Subject:   Re: Swap overcommit (was Re: Replacement for grep(1) (part 2))

:   I've long felt that the best solution to problems like this is a per-user
:swap space quota. This gives admins a knob to manage the allocation of swap
:space while still allowing overcommit. The downside is that it doesn't provide
:a graceful way for a program to recover from it's overconsumption sins. I'd
:argue, however, that buggy software or incorrectly tuned systems should get
:what they deserve.
:
:-DG
:
:David Greenman

    Ooh, cool idea.  If I had that at BEST I would use it snap!  like that!
    A per-user swap quota would work a whole lot better then the current
    numprocs x datasize limit

					-Matt
					Matthew Dillon
					<dillon@backplane.com>