Date:      Tue, 28 Jan 1997 21:57:51 -0800 (PST)
From:      Snob Art Genre <ben@narcissus.ml.org>
To:        BRONISLAVA SHVETS <maya@sprintmail.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Windows95&installing of Unix

On Tue, 28 Jan 1997, BRONISLAVA SHVETS wrote:

> Dear Benedict:
>      I saw your reply to Ben in the FreeBSD question-maillist.
>
> > On Sat, 4 Jan 1997, Ben wrote:
> >
> > > Right now, I am running win95.  Can I install Freebsd on my system and
> > > still be able to use Windows 95 in addition to Freebsd?  Will installing
> > > freebsd erase my windows files?  Thanks for your time
> >
> > Yes and no, respectively; FreeBSD can coexist with Win95.  There are some
> > small inconveniences in the install process having to do with Win95's
> > restrictions on direct disk access (no big deal), and FreeBSD can't read
> > the new VFAT32 Win95 filesystem (this doesn't concern you unless you're
> > using Windows 97), and other than that there are no problems that I know
> > of.
> >

> > > Ben Xu
> > >

> >  Ben
>
>     I have almost the same problem. I can't install downloaded FreeBSD
> 2.1.6-RELEASE on my computer. The installation of FreeBSD is under W95.
> Can you give me a piece of advice? How to fight against W95 and how to
> force it to grant access to installation?

What exactly is going wrong?

I've never installed FreeBSD on a Win95 box, I was just echoing what I'd
gathered from hanging out on the mailing list.  I may be able to help you,
but you probably have a better chance asking the list, where there are
people who've done it and have a better grasp of the issues involved.

I take it you've read http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/install.html ?
Hmm, a quick look doesn't find any Win95 specific info there.

I'm going to cc: this to the questions list, I think that will get you
your answer most efficiently.

> I would really appreciate your help.
>    Sincerely
>                                        Maya

 Ben

The views expressed above are not those of the Worker's Compensation
Board of Queensland, Australia.