Date:      Mon, 13 Mar 1995 10:40:42 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@trout.sri.MT.net>
To:        "Andrey A. Chernov, Black Mage" <ache@astral.msk.su>, Remy CARD <Remy.Card@masi.ibp.fr>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: _regerror multiply defined

[ gdb: multiple _regerror definitions which causes link errors ]

> >	Actually, regerror seems to be defined twice in libcompat.  It is
> >defined in lib/libcompat/4.3/regex.c and in lib/libcompat/regexp/regerror.c.
>
> >	I have commented out the definition of regerror in the first file
> >and it seems to be Ok.  BTW, I am not sure which file regerror should be
> >removed from.
>
> Wrong move, _both_ regerror are needed. Better to spent some time to fix
> ld to use sequental linking for mixed (shared & non-shared) libs.

I'm working on it, really. :-)

Paul K. just sent me a patch that allows the link to occur, but the
patch still has some problems in that it brings in additional
definitions of referenced files that are not needed.  The problem is
much more difficult than I had initally anticipated, since you don't
want to change the format of the shared libraries and you want
additional functionality that it wasn't originally designed for.

Nate