Date:      Mon, 5 Oct 2020 09:54:35 -0500
From:      Kyle Evans <kevans@freebsd.org>
To:        "Hartmann, O." <ohartmann@walstatt.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD CURRENT <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: CURRENT: cross compiling 12-STABLE failure in: bin/cp/utils.c:517:14: error: member reference base type 'void' is not a structure or union

On Sun, Oct 4, 2020 at 11:55 PM Hartmann, O. <ohartmann@walstatt.org> wrote:

> For a couple of weeks now cross-compiling 12-STBALE on CURRENT fails
> due to an compiler error in bin/cp/utils.c, see details below.
>
> At this moment, CURRENT is at FreeBSD 13.0-CURRENT #39 r366364: Fri Oct
>  2 17:51:39 CEST 2020 amd64 and the sources for 12-STABLE are at
> revision 366437.
>
> The compilation environment is the NanoBSD environment of the CURRENT
> running host.
>
> A similar constellation of host and cross-compiled target (regarding OS
> versions, the hardware platform is slightly different, for the record)
> works: running a simple, well known "make" builds 12-STABLE without
> problems.
>
> I tried to build NanoBSD in a vanilla state (without conf files for
> WITH/WITHOUT tags), but the failure is always the same.
>
> Can someone help or give some hints where to look for the reason of th
> miscompilation?

Hi,

This is the same failure that was recently reported on the -stable@
list for stable/11 (entitled "building releng11 on RELENG12 broken
?"). It should only happen in the presence of WITHOUT_AUTO_OBJ, but
that shouldn't be the case on stable/12. It's clearly trying to
rebuild it into the src tree in the same way, though:

[/pool/sources/12-STABLE/src/bin/cp/utils.o] Error code 1

This is interesting, but I'm afraid I don't know the nanobsd build
well enough to understand what's going on here. I suspect it's
related, though.

Thanks,

Kyle Evans