Date:      Wed, 27 Oct 1999 20:37:59 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org>
To:        Chris@aims.com.au
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Porting a SCSI driver from 2.2.x to 3.x

Chris Knight wrote...
> 	I've contacted Simon several times over the last year. No driver has been
> forthcoming, even for testing purposes. Mark Salyzyn's driver has been
> working flawlessly for me on several 2.2.8 boxes, but I need them working on
> 3.x soonish. If that requires me porting the 2.2.8 driver, then I'll do so.
> 	I don't necessarily see anything wrong with duplicate efforts, but I can
> see problems in deciding which driver should be merged into the repository.

Well, feel free to work on it.  If it works okay, it may well go in the
tree.  FreeBSD could certainly use support for those boards, since people
query the lists about them frequently.

Keep in mind that once Simon's I2O code shows up, we may drop your driver
in favor of a native I2O driver for those boards.

I'm sure Justin will be glad to answer questions about the CAM SIM layer
if you need help porting the driver.  It might be helpful for you to just
post questions to the -scsi list when you have them, that way a number of
people will get a shot at answering.  (and you won't be waiting on one
person to answer)

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry