Date:      Wed, 7 May 1997 08:37:54 +0200 (MEST)
From:      Søren Schmidt <sos@sos.freebsd.dk>
To:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au (Michael Smith)
Cc:        rhh@ct.picker.com, msmith@FreeBSD.ORG, sos@FreeBSD.ORG, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 2.2 Splashkit

> Randall Hopper stands accused of saying:
> >
> >      I'd leave it enabled in my kernel with a nifty picture if it would
> > auto-dismiss itself when booting gets to the syscons login prompt.
>
> Hmm, I don't actually think it should disappear with the login prompt;
> it should stay there being pretty if the system isn't being dinked with.
>
> Currently, I am leaning towards having it disappear on any keypress.

That one is easy :)

> > The only bug/feature I've noticed with it so far is:
> >
> >   - If I start X with the splash on, works OK, but bringing down yields a
> >     corrupted screen (guess it doesn't kick-in a redraw when switching
> >     out of syscons mode)
>
> Hmm, X _shouldn't_ work with the splash on, although I suspect that it
> depends on your hardware.

Well, it should, but it fails to restore the splash picture when X
exits, this houls be easy to fix also..

> >   - Simple pixel or palette animation support.  Not just because it'd look
> >     cool, but because a splash screen should let the user know at a glance
> >     that the machine isn't locked up.  Also makes the time it takes the
> >     machine to boot-up seem shorter.
>
> There's some provision for palette rotation already; the real problem is
> just arranging for the rotation on a useful basis - the console driver
> only runs when text is output, so colours would only shift during
> character output (not a bad idea though).

No, the redraw rutine runs periodically even if there is no output (it
just doesn't do anything), this can be used for animation 20 steps
(IIRC) a second. There can be no animation during the probe fase (or
atleast just a little) as the system timers aren't running yet..

> >   - A MSW95 LOGO.SYS converter for lifting cool pre-built splash pages
> >     of the net and flipping them into FreeBSD :-) (Slap me, I'm dreaming :-)
>
> I'm sure they're just BMP images slapped on the back of an executable...

They are just BMP files with another name :)

sos> file logo.sys
logo.sys: PC bitmap data, Windows 3.x format, 320 x 400 x 8
sos>

Søren Schmidt               (sos@FreeBSD.org)               FreeBSD Core Team
                Even more code to hack -- will it ever end
..