Date:      Tue, 10 Dec 2002 15:08:23 +0200
From:      Jeremy Lea <reg@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Lev Serebryakov <lev@serebryakov.spb.ru>
Cc:        Edwin Groothuis <edwin@mavetju.org>, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Reasons for USE_AUTOCONF/USE_AUTOMAKE usage?

Hi,

On Tue, Dec 10, 2002 at 03:24:23PM +0300, Lev Serebryakov wrote:
>   For example, `deverl/libedit' could be build WITHOUT autoconf:
>   supplied scripts & templates woks fine (and only version of shared
>   library is changed)! Binary results is SAME!

Normally the reason is that the patches are easier too do on
configure.in rather than configure.  I personally prefer the procedure
of having a patch for configure.in, and maintainer running with
USE_AUTOCONF, then generating a patch for configure, and updating both
in the port.  But that's a lot more work for the maintainer.

Anyway, if you use more than a few ports you are normally forced into
requiring perl, autoconf, automake, gmake, etc.  So why make life more
difficult for the maintainer.

Regards,
  -Jeremy

--
FreeBSD - Because the best things in life are free...
                                           http://www.freebsd.org/