Date:      Sat, 14 Dec 1996 21:06:28 +0100
From:      Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.tfs.com>
To:        dyson@freebsd.org
Cc:        peter@spinner.dialix.com (Peter Wemm), smp@freebsd.org, haertel@ichips.intel.com
Subject:   Re: some questions concerning TLB shootdowns in FreeBSD

In message <199612141838.NAA00208@dyson.iquest.net>, "John S. Dyson" writes:
>The way that I see it, is that the current pmap code is highly optimized
>for single processor operation.  If I was you, I would try to just
>try to get something working correctly algorithmically -- almost ignoring
>performance issues.  Of course, when performance is easy -- go for that
>also.
>
>Alot of things like single page invalidates inside of loops appear that
>they could be evil for multi-processor applications (imagine an inter-
>processor interrupt for every loop!?!?.)  I think that you (we or us),
>will have to look at the performance for the SMP direction, and it
>might even entail large differences in pmap eventually.  Hopefully,
>we will all be able to isolate the differences for the maintenance of
>sanity :-).

The crucial thing, as far as I can see, is to find out >if< we need to
tell the other CPU's about this change to the pagetables.  For a 2cpu
system the penalty of stopping the other CPU is still within bounds
of the reasonable, but stopping three CPUs needlessly is not a good idea.

Is there any cheap way to keep a refcount (or bitmap) per vm-object so
we can see if we need to kick the other CPUs if we fiddle it ?

whois: [PHK]                | phk@tfs.com           TRW Financial Systems, Inc.
Power and ignorance is a disgusting cocktail.