Date:      Mon, 28 May 2012 11:11:09 -0500
From:      Mark Felder <feld@feld.me>
To:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Millions of small files: best filesystem / best options

ZFS is heavy, but if you have the resources it could possibly fit your
needs if tuned correctly. You can change the blocksize for any ZFS
filesystem which might help. It also deals with filesystems that have lots
of files quite well -- we have some customer backups that sprawl to 20
million+ files and ZFS doesn't seem to care.

As far as UFS -- I'm not sure which newfs options you will want to use,
but you definitely will want to tune vfs.ufs.dirhash_maxmem

hth